Category — Wordpress Blogging
No more Content Aggregation – let’s do Content Curation to bring value to readers along with search engine position
Content Aggregation (which is just a fancy term for the automated gathering of links and content from the web) can be viewed on sites like Google News and several other news kind of websites. Generally, this kind of aggregation may be seen being a good thing for content creators and content publishers and uptill recently, it was upto the technology to do this – meaning – automated scripts or bots – that could help fill up content from different sources. The part of content creation was and has generally been a very human effort.
But all this is now changing with Content Curation — what is content curation? – It is the act of human editors adding their work to the computer programs that gather, collate, organize and filter content.
An wonderful blog post about “content curation” is found on Robin Good’s weblog – . You absolutely need to read this. It’s a guest post by Rohit Bhargava, the author of an brilliant book called “Personality Not Included”.
Here’s a part from Robin’s blog
“A Content Curator is someone who continually finds, groups, organizes and shares the best and most relevant content on a specific issue online.”
“Curation comes up when search stops working,” says author and NYU Professor Clay Shirky. But this is far more than just a human-powered filter – like a Wikipedia or related human based content aggregation service. “Curation comes up when people realize that the world is no longer only about information seeking, it is also (now) about synchronizing communities together.”
One of the reasons that human curation is so very critical is simply because of the vast amount of people who’re now making and sharing media. “Everyone today is a media outlet”, says Shirky. “The point of everyone being a media outlet is really not at all complex – rather it’s quite simple. It means that we can all put things out in the public view now.”
So who are these content curators? What can they gather and re-publish? Do they have the right to get paid for curation? If so, who’s adding the real value, the content makers or the curators/publishers?
According to Dr. Peter Spaepen,
“If you are a blogger and want to put good content out there for your readers – your job should be to be the “content curator” – nothing more. You don’t have to write your own opinion and you don’t have to put a lot of time in writing a post. It’s not supposed to win a Pulitzer Price. Your only goal is to get the “market news” on your blog and get it indexed by Google.”
These questions are still being answered by the community but for now, let’s deal with how you can use 5 great wordpress plugins to bring content curation to your own blogs – these are all wordpress plugins and all of them are free so there is no reason not to try them – if you try one or more of these, leave me a comment and let me know what you think of these tools.
July 23, 2010 4 Comments
- Netvibes: Pastel blue on light gray. available in English, French, German, Spanish, Chinese, Russian, Portuguese, Croatian and Hindi. Modules: Box.net storage with MP3′s player, gmail, Yahoo mail, Ical, Weather, Social applications(Flickr, Digg, Blogmarks, webnote, writly…) RSS/ATOM feedreader with OMPL import. Demo available. Works in Safari. [blog]
- goowy (Flash): Looks a bit like the Mac OS X desktop theme with it’s dock, see the screenshots. Has a lot of applications like mail management, calendar(drag and drop events!), games with KDE Linux theme icons. All Flash-based work in Safari. Demo available. [blog]
- Start.com : Pastel blue on white. Is now being used as “an incubation project”, mostly to test ideas for live.com. Expand/collapse modules: Feeds, weather, stock, horoscope, click, shopping and some photo modules. Does not work in Safari. Demo available. [blog][via]
- Microsoft Windows Live with user made module you can submit and rate here: Gadgets gallery. You can feel it’s Microsoft, and it’s blue. See Windows Live 8 Years Ago byPinoy Tech Blog. Demo available. Does not work in Safari.[Blog]
- Favor : Very ‘bright’ page, has 5 pastel color settings. Expand/collaps modules: Feeds, Notes, Flick slidshow and bookmkarks. Previous icon: icon. No demo available. Works in Safari [review]
- eskobo.com: Has 8 pastel themes. Does not work in Safari.
- Google Personalized : What can I say? Google style with user made module you can submit and rate here: Google Modules Gallery or HotModules. Works in Safari.
- Pageflakes: Tabbed interface, a bit darker than pastel. Has support for many social applications, see the module Gallery. Does not work in Safari.
- Protopage: Original design with bright colors where the blocks can overlap each other. The old icon used to be like this: Does not work in Safari, but you can get the feeling. Demo available. [Blog]
- BACKBASE: Sober and clean interface. Double click exapnd/collapse maodules. Weather, Horoscope, Email(AOL/Yahoo/Hotmail), Custom portofolio(sortable table)web search. Does not work in Safari.
- Inbox.com: Multi service, 2GB Webmail(Access Multiple POP3 Accounts), Search, Storage, Calendar, Notes and more, has colorful blocks of 6 different colors. Seems to work in Safari.
- ItsAStart: An other pastel style with expande/collaps modules. Weather, bookmarks, Google search, clock, Notes and Feeds. Demo available. Seems to work in Safari.
- LinkedFeed: Blue and orange theme with round corners. Weather, TV guid, Search, Notepad, Feeds, Pop mail support. Possibility to add pages. Does not work in Safari. [review][blog]
- Magnoto: Social startpage using personal URLs. (eg 3spots.magnoto.com.) Represented as stickies on a fridge( think ‘magnet’), modules can overlap. File upload for background, photos, audio, videos and lots of fridge decoration. Notes, XMl Feed for each page. Possibility to add pages. Demo available. There’s also a German version: Magnoto.de. Works in Safari.[blog]
- My Yahoo!: Now has drag and drop! And a lots of themes Works in Safari. Feeds, Yahoo mail, Yahoo search, Yahoo directory… Yahoo modules. Possibility to add pages.
- Smiley Today: Startpage for kids with weather, celebrity news, Bookmarks, Horascope, polls, smileys… and web search. Demo available.
- mon.itor.us: Is a website statistical tool with tabbed interface, expand collaps modules: notes, todo, Address book, Feeds and Statistics(up time, graphs…). Uses natural colors with round corners and tags. Possibility to add pages. Demo video available. [blog]
- Zoobio: A wiki style community portal with drag and drop modules, like an advanced public startpage with RSS feeds with rating, photos, WYSIWYG Note editor, Group Blog, Bookmarks, mashup search/keyword trackers, a custom clipping bookmarklet for each url and Customizable OPML comming soon. Simple and clear interface with round corners. Sober square and dark gray style. Demos: thexy are all public [example]. Drag and drop does not work in Safari.
- Yoosi: NEW Sober light grey with colorful icons and expande/collaps modules. Feeds, weather, mail, package tracker, todo, notes, Mail(gamil/Yahoo/Hotmail) support and lets you create your costum module. Pre made version has del.icio.us, digg feeds. Demo available. [screenshot]
- HomePortals: No drag and drop, Tabbed interface and has a weblog. Social and very customizable, each module can have it’s own CSS style. Possibility to add pages. Works in Safari.
- Moogelet: NEW! Experimantal ajax startpage by freewebsfarms with digg, a calendar and web search modules, available also for download.
July 7, 2010 No Comments
In all of my years of experience with wordpress plugins, I find the following 20 plugins to be the best for good search engine optimization. Please note that some of them are paid while others are free but I do not get paid for any of them if you buy them (as I feel that will make this review non-objective).
So let’s start with the 20 best SEO plugins for wordpress
#1: SEO Booster Pro
SEO Booster PRO is a really awesome powerful search engine optimization Plugin for WordPress that automates your blog by tracking, analyzing and utilizing the incoming searches from the various search engines. SEO Booster PRO auto-magically tracks your inbound site visitors from Google, researches the current ranking of the keyword, and then starts promoting the best suited keywords, after installation, you don’t need to do anything else. Just install and watch your search positions rise!!
#2: SEO Smart Links
SEO Smart Links offers automated SEO advantages for your site in addition to custom made keyword lists, nofollow plus much more. SEO Smart Links could instantly link keywords and phrases in your blogposts and comments with related posts, pages, categories and tags on your blog. Additionally SEO Smart linkspermits you to configure and set up keywords and set of matching URLs. Ultimately SEO Smart links enables you to set nofollow attribute and open these links in a new window. Almost everything happens totally transparent, and you could edit the options from your admin console panel. SEO Smart links is ideal for cross linking your content and is an example of how you can do cost effective seo by yourself.
#3: WP SEO Sniper
With SEO Sniper, you can do the following:
- With SEO Sniper, you could do:
- Give your crucial content material much more PageRank by eliminating duplicated pages.
- Maintains more PageRank to be shared amongst your lower level content pages.
- Make your entry in the search engines stand out and lure a lot more clicks.
- Drive a lot more Page rank right down to your own individual blogposts.
- Protect more Page rank to become shared among your own posts.
- Preserve more Page rank to be propagated among your pages.
- Because tag words are mainly for human benefit, the worthiness of experiencing tag archives in the search engine index is arguable.
- Preserve more PageRank to go to your important content material.
- Provide your blog a totally Search Engine Otimized footer menu with discerning nofollows on the links.
- Include your Google code while not having to edit your theme files.
- Accurately manage exactly how Page rank flows to a particular page.
- Keep trivial content material out of the search engine index entirely.
- Make your entry in the various search engines stick out and lure more clicks.
- Keep unimportant pages out of the list of pages. Numerous themes use the page list to construct a main top menu. Manage which pages show up in that significant menu.
- Independently style a specific post or page if you would like to do so.
- Send request for, and the original PageRank, from a redundant post or page to a new post or page.
- Implement SEO Fast Start Tiered Pairing or Circular Navigation techniques on your posts and pages to give each post or page as much PageRank as possible.
WP SEO Sniper Homepage – This plugin has been discontinued for some strange reason but the current plugin can still be downloaded and used without problems.
#4: SEO Title Tag
Important Features of the SEO Title Tag plugin
- You could easily define custom titles for your post, a page, your Categories and Tags or any other URL that you specify like an author archive etc.
- You could set a custom slugs for a post or a page,
- This plugin will automatically put your blog’s name at the end of the title tag (instead of the beginning of the title) hence the most critical keywords are visible earlier
- You could specify your custom post title a new post or in the edit post admin pages
- You could define a custom title for any of the 404 error pages too
- There is a way to mass edit titles and slugs thereby giving you a page that has good on-page search engine optimization on it
This plugin is a an essential plugin to optimize your post and page titles for search engines – this makes it really easy to do search engine optimization on your pages.
It will generate all SEO relevant META tags automatically and helps you avoid duplicate content
This plugin will also allow you to override any title and set any META description and META keywords, for any post or page
This one is compatible with most other plugins, like Auto Meta, Ultimate Tag Warrior and others plugins – but you may have to disable All in One SEO pack
You don’t have to fear changing permalinks. If you are not happy with the current permalink, you can change it through Settings–>Permalinks in your admin panel, and not have to worry about loss of Page rank or the Google penalty. The Platinum SEO plugin takes care of sending out a 301 redirect to the new location. It is a an essential feature and is not present in All in one SEO
The plugin also helps you add meta description and meta keywords tags to the Categories and Tag pages.
Add index, noindex, follow or nofollow, noarchive, nosnippet, noodp, noydir meta tags to any post/page.These options are not available in All in one SEO Pack.
June 23, 2010 1 Comment